Monday, August 1, 2016

Auuuuugust

That went fast.

So I can't come home because I can't take the heat. I think it was
like 70 degrees (with humidity) this week and I was dyyying. People
here are so funny. Whenever they tell me the temperature in Celsius I
just shake my head and wait for my companion to react because I have
no idea if 14 degrees is hot or cold. And when I tell them I don't get
Celsius, they just say, "it's simple! You just think of 0 degrees as
the freezing point of water and 100 degrees is boiling." And I'm like
"yeah because I totally walk around with a cup of water outside to see
how warm it is." It's just kinda funny.

I GOT THE BEST SURPRISE THIS WEEK. I got a letter from Sister Co, my
last companion, and in it was a note from Ron! My recent con-Ron! He
told me about a "Brother Holland" talk he read and just said thank you
for everything. I miss teaching him so much, I started crying when I
got his note. I just miss Pontefract so much.

Here are some English phrases that I've actually heard used in a real
sentence by real Englishmen and smiled so big because #stereotypes.
- It's not my cup of tea
- Cheerio
- I beg your pardon
- bonny lass
- (One we get a LOT) Oh we usually get the lads in suits coming around
- Smashing
- Cheers, love
- rubbish bin
I just love England.

Favorite scripture of this week: Helaman 10:4-5. SO GOOD.

Miracle find: We knocked into this woman who had lost her faith
because of the passing of her mom, but as we kept talking to her she
seemed really open minded. We asked her if we could come back another
day and teach her more but instead she said "when you're done knocking
this street just come back and we can talk some more." So we did and
she let us in, we taught part of lesson one, part of lesson two and
then we invited her to be baptised and right when she was going to
answer, her neighbor walked in. She was very loud, very distracting
and told us that she wouldn't listen to us because she liked Christmas
too much. (EVERYONE thinks we're Jehovah's Witnesses it's kinda
annoying.) So at this point, me and Sister Jäger were like "yeah
there's no way she's gonna say yes." But after she went outside, the
woman we were teaching came back in the room, sat down, and was like,
"Yeah. If I come to find this is true, I'd definitely commit." WHAT. I
definitely learned my lesson about having faith and trusting Heavenly
Father.

I read a talk called "Beware of Pride" by Ezra Taft Benson in 1989 and
if you're like me and struggle with pride, please go and read it. I
learned so much and it's really helped with how I treat others and
myself. Some parts that I really liked were:

"Pride gets no pleasure out of having something, only out of having
more of it than the next man. … It is the comparison that makes you
proud: the pleasure of being above the rest. Once the element of
competition has gone, pride has gone."

"When pride has a hold on our hearts, we lose our independence of the
world and deliver our freedoms to the bondage of men’s judgment. The
world shouts louder than the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. The
reasoning of men overrides the revelations of God, and the proud let
go of the iron rod. Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others
but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Most of us consider pride to be a
sin of those on the top, such as the rich and the learned, looking
down at the rest of us. There is, however, a far more common ailment
among us--and that is pride from the bottom looking up. It is manifest
in so many ways, such as faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting,
murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding
gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving
and jealous."

"God will have a humble people. Either we can choose to be humble or
we can be compelled to be humble. Alma said, “Blessed are they who
humble themselves without being compelled to be humble.” Let us choose
to be humble. We can choose to humble ourselves by conquering enmity
toward our brothers and sisters, esteeming them as ourselves, and
lifting them as high or higher than we are. We can choose to humble
ourselves by receiving counsel and chastisement. We can choose to
humble ourselves by forgiving those who have offended us. We can
choose to humble ourselves by rendering selfless service. We can
choose to humble ourselves by going on missions and preaching the word
that can humble others. We can choose to humble ourselves by getting
to the temple more frequently. We can choose to humble ourselves by
confessing and forsaking our sins and being born of God. We can choose
to humble ourselves by loving God, submitting our will to His, and
putting Him first in our lives. Let us choose to be humble. We can do
it. I know we can."

Well yeah, I guess you don't need to look it up because I just wrote
it all down for you but, please please go read it. 20 year old talks
are for our day too.

Reasons this week was an enjoyment:
1. Everyone in the branch is on holiday this week so yesterday we had
15 members at church and they were scrambling for bread for the
sacrament, and 5 minutes before the meeting started, one of the
members shouts: "IS ANYONE ALLERGIC TO NUTS? WELL IF YOU ARE WE'LL
HAVE TO SHARE A COOKIE BECAUSE WHOLE GRAIN BREAD IS ALL WE HAVE." I
was dying.
2. I have a 'Book of Rubbish Responses' and this week I added to it
when we asked someone what makes them happy and this woman said, "
It's none of your business, actually. I don't even know you." And then
Sister Jäger goes: "You don't have to share it with us, we can share
something with you." #championcompanion
3. We knocked a total of 662 doors and 78 dogs barked at us. Last week
our weekly total was 485 doors so we really improved.
4. We ran out of mormon.org cards a couple days ago and now we're
giving out the old Easter and Christmas ones and we feel like such
losers.
5. We went to the store today and they had an American food section
and I was freaking out. THEY HAD ROOT BEER. I also got some pop tarts
and cheez-its and I could not be happier.

Well that's it for me. Tara, love.
❤️ Sister Peterson

Go cougs 💙

Berwick (my new fave place)

As cool as sunsets get over here. But still cool.
video


video




No comments:

Post a Comment