Monday, August 15, 2016

Transfer calls are in and I'm...

STAYING.

and my new companion is...

CHINESE.

and I am also...

DRIVING.

but don't forget I'm...

TERRIFIED.

Not about my new companion, she came out 2 transfers after me so I'll
be senior companioning it and Chinese people are the best. But about
driving. English roads are tiny, cramped, the driving rules are
different, and everything's on the left side of the road. Our area is
huge and I'll be driving to Newcastle every week. Pray for me.

Also, our zone has 30 missionaries and 20 of them are leaving. 20!
They're either getting transferred or going home, only one
companionship out of 15 are staying the same. Even companionships are
getting transferred together to another area. It was an insane plot
twist transfer call.

Anyway, last Monday was THE BEST PDAY EVER. We had the whole zone at
the Newcastle chapel and we played gatorball and chair
football(soccer) and watched movies and spent most of the day out in
the sun (a rare opportunity in England) and it was definitely the best
pday of my entire mission. A lot of missionaries are going home on
Wednesday and it was our one last hoorah and there were moments when
we'd all be laughing and you just look around and your heart almost
bursts because you have so much love for these people and this mission
and it hurts that at one point this is all going to come to an end.
But I've still got a while so I'm fine.

Speaking of that, I was talking to an Elder and I asked him how long
he'd been out and he said a month and a half and I was like "Oh so you
came a little after me." And he asked how long I'd been on my mission
and I was like "7 months." And then we both looked at each other and
he laughed and I was like "oh. Never mind." Haha it's gone so fast and
I still feel like a baby of the mission but I guess I've been out
longer than I think.

Cool side note: I got my mission call on August 14th last year and
transfer calls were August 14th so it was like another mini mission
call 🙃

About twice a week, we go see a member that's in a care home and this
past week he prayed and said: "Heavenly Father, you've done it again.
You've brought these two lovely ladies to come and see me. Anyway, in
the name of Jesus Christ, Amen." ❤️

Okay. This week's miracle find of crazy old conference talks wasn't
actually too old. I've been studying humility every day because it's
something I really want to refine and there are SO many blessings that
come from just being a humble person. So here's a quick list of all my
inspirations in chronological order.

Pride and the Priesthood (October 2010): Humility means that we give
all glory to the Father, just as the Saviour did. It means that we
lose ourselves in the service of others, just as the Saviour did.
Pride is a switch that turns off priesthood power. Humility is a
switch that turns it on.
    When we see the world around us through the lens of the pure love
of Christ, we begin to understand humility.
    Some suppose that humility is about beating ourselves up.
Humility does not mean convincing ourselves that we are worthless,
meaningless, or of little value. Nor does it mean denying or
withholding the talents God has given us. We don’t discover humility
by thinking less of ourselves; we discover humility by thinking less
about ourselves. It comes as we go about our work with an attitude of
serving God and our fellowman.
    Humility directs our attention and love toward others and to
Heavenly Father’s purposes. Pride does the opposite. Pride draws its
energy and strength from the deep wells of selfishness. The moment we
stop obsessing with ourselves and lose ourselves in service, our pride
diminishes and begins to die.
    I once owned a pen that I loved to use during my career as an
airline captain. By simply turning the shaft, I could choose one of
four colors. The pen did not complain when I wanted to use red ink
instead of blue. It did not say to me, “I would rather not write after
10:00 p.m., in heavy fog, or at high altitudes.” The pen did not say,
“Use me only for important documents, not for the daily mundane
tasks.” With greatest reliability it performed every task I needed, no
matter how important or insignificant. It was always ready to serve.
    In a similar way we are tools in the hands of God. When our heart
is in the right place, we do not complain that our assigned task is
unworthy of our abilities. We gladly serve wherever we are asked. When
we do this, the Lord can use us in ways beyond our understanding to
accomplish His work.

How to Obtain Revelation and Inspiration for Your Personal Life (April
2012): For spirituality to grow stronger and more available, it must
be planted in a righteous environment. Haughtiness, pride, and conceit
are like stony ground that will never produce spiritual fruit.
    Humility is a fertile soil where spirituality grows and produces
the fruit of inspiration to know what to do. It gives access to divine
power to accomplish what must be done. An individual motivated by a
desire for praise or recognition will not qualify to be taught by the
Spirit. An individual who is arrogant or who lets his or her emotions
influence decisions will not be powerfully led by the Spirit.
    When we are acting as instruments in behalf of others, we are
more easily inspired than when we think only of ourselves. In the
process of helping others, the Lord can piggyback directions for our
own benefit.
    Our Heavenly Father did not put us on earth to fail but to
succeed gloriously.

Be Thou Humble (April 2016): Think of all the heartache you can avoid
by humbling yourself to say, “I’m sorry”; “That was inconsiderate of
me”; “What would you like to do?”; “I just wasn’t thinking”; or “I’m
very proud of you.” If these little phrases were humbly used, there
would be less contention and more peace in our homes.
    I am grateful for prophets, like Alma, who have taught us the
worth of this great attribute. Spencer W. Kimball, the 12th President
of the Church, said: “How does one get humble? To me, one must
constantly be reminded of his dependence. On whom dependent? On the
Lord. How remind one’s self? By real, constant, worshipful, grateful
prayer.”
    It should come as no surprise that President Kimball’s favorite
hymn was “I Need Thee Every Hour.” Elder Dallin H. Oaks reported that
this was the most oft-sung opening hymn by the Brethren in the temple
during his early years in the Quorum of the Twelve. He said, “Picture
the spiritual impact of a handful of the Lord’s servants singing that
song before praying for his guidance in fulfilling their mighty
responsibilities.”

HOW LUCKY ARE WE TO HAVE MODERN DAY PROPHETS AND APOSTLES THAT RECEIVE
DIVINE INSPIRATION. so lucky.

If you sat and read this entire novel of an email, you're already one
step closer to humility.

Well, I'm out.
Sister Peterson

Sneak peek to a high class Ashington District photoshoot 😎 
All the elders except the one on the far right are going home on Wednesday :(
and Sister Jäger is getting transferred, so me and Elder Wheeler are

gonna be the only originals left.

No comments:

Post a Comment