Monday, October 10, 2016

Operation: Service

This week completely topped last week. I'm not kidding when I say I love it here. The area, my companion, the missionaries, I love it all. 

So Sister Savelio and I. We get along a little too well haha. We actually had to have a 'civil' day where we were only allowed to make jokes and act like ourselves inside the flat or behind closed doors because it got a little out of hand. There's only 3 sisters from New Zealand in this mission and after having two of them as companions I'm convinced I have New Zealand in my blood because we just click so fast. Seriously, me and Sister Savelio got comfortable with each other in our first hour together and we got asked twice from members how long we'd known each other and we were like, "uh, a day." I just love her and am stoked for this transfer. 

Our mission president did a conference where he ripped out all the pages from chapter 9 of PMG (about finding) and taped them together and from like the 10 pages of that chapter there was a tiny little sentence that was highlighted and it was "street contacting and knocking". The point of it was that he doesn't want us street contacting and knocking all day because there are SO many other ways of finding new people to teach. Which is weird because if you have nothing else planned, that's automatically your back up. Or that's how it used to be. Now, he wants us volunteering at hospitals and community centres and food banks and stuff and we're pumped. 

Halloween is on a Pday this year and so we have to be in our flats at 6 and Sister Turvey is making us all deep deep clean our flats to perfection which I'm actually really excited for because this flat kinda needs work. And we're gonna order Chinese food too so it'll be greaaaat. Speaking of Halloween, I guess there's like a big deal about people dressed up as clowns that go around every night scaring people? Every time we leave someone's house they say "Watch out for the clowns! Be safe!" And now just out of curiosity I want to see one of these clowns. I'll keep ya posted. 

More out-of-context quotes:
  • "I'm just not good at eating" -Sis Savelio
  • "Can you please help me understand why you did that" - a suggested question from the Safeguards handbook we use completely out of context
  • "FRESH"
  • " ...and then she got upset because her sister didn't give her a slice of the pie" -Sis Savelio talking about a woman who won the lottery 
  • "I'll go find Kermit the Frog. (As if I don't know where he is)" - the bishop
  • "I have an emergency baking box in my car with a carton of eggs and everything." -also the bishop
  • "He didn't laugh? Here, tell me the joke and I'll see if it's funny." - Sis Savelio 
  • "I'll give you a shoutout in my next letter to president to nominate you for zone leader." - Elder Cope

I was thinking about what spiritual enlightenment I had this week that I could share with you but I couldn't think of anything specifically spectacular. Until this morning. I was reading the Book of Mormon student manual and had never read anything that touched me so much with 5 minutes left of personal study. I read:

"What does it mean to have “a broken heart and a contrite spirit”? President Ezra Taft Benson explained that it is the same as godly sorrow, which is “a deep realization that our actions have offended our Father and our God. It is the sharp and keen awareness that our behavior caused the Savior, He who knew no sin, even the greatest of all, to endure agony and suffering. Our sins caused Him to bleed at every pore. This very real mental and spiritual anguish is what the scriptures refer to as having ‘a broken heart and a contrite spirit.’ Such a spirit is the absolute prerequisite for true repentance”

Elder Bruce D. Porter of the Seventy explained further, defining the meaning of “a broken heart and a contrite spirit”:

“When our hearts are broken, we are completely open to the Spirit of God and recognize our dependence on Him for all that we have and all that we are. The sacrifice so entailed is a sacrifice of pride in all its forms. Like malleable clay in the hands of a skilled potter, the brokenhearted can be molded and shaped in the hands of the Master. …

“… Those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit are willing to do anything and everything that God asks of them, without resistance or resentment. We cease doing things our way and learn to do them God’s way instead. …

“There is yet another dimension of a broken heart--namely, our deep gratitude for Christ’s suffering on our behalf. … When we remember the Savior and His suffering, our hearts too will break in gratitude for the Anointed One.

“As we make the sacrifice to Him of all that we have and all that we are, the Lord will fill our hearts with peace. He will ‘bind up the brokenhearted’ and grace our lives with the love of God."

I don't know about you but I have a lot of weaknesses. And sometimes I've felt like repenting and asking for forgiveness just isn't enough sometimes. And when I read this, I realised that when we truly want to repent we need to think of the Atonement in this kind of way. To know that our Saviour committed no sin but suffered for all of ours and every time we sin, it's another price he has to pay. I absolutely love Jesus Christ with my whole heart and am so grateful for His love for me. 

God is good and England is wet. 
Love ya!
Sister Pete 💛

Happy birthday to meee

#basic

No comments:

Post a Comment