Monday, October 3, 2016

The Promised Land 2.0

GUYS I LOVE IT HERE. I'm back in my comfort zone. Alnwick was way too
posh for me, I'm back with the normal northern englishers and all
their daftness ☺️ I love it here.

So transfer day was crazy and saying goodbye to the car was
heartbreaking. Sister Chiu and I were late to catching the metro with
the other sisters so I had to drive all of them to the train station
and send Sister Chiu off and pick up the new STL and then drive back
and chill at the church for a while with the zone leaders and Sister
Czeisla until my new companion and my new STL came and picked us up.
Then we had to smush all of our luggage into this tiny little car and
then we finally made it here.

Sister Savelio: another New Zealander! She reminds me so much of
Sister Cockburn, and just like Sister Cockburn and I, we're already
best friends. I haven't laughed this hard in a week probably ever in
my life. She was also trained by my MTC companion, Sister Connolly and
it's fun to hear all the stories she tells me about her. Ah, I miss
her.

We share our area with the STL's and they live in Newton Aycliffe and
we live in Bishop Auckland which is like a 10 minute drive from where
they are. Bishop Auckland has soo much potential. Basically everyone
we teach is in a part member family which is like gold when you're a
missionary. And my second day here we scheduled! I honestly haven't
scheduled someone in over 4 months. She's 14 years old and is living
with her sister and her husband who are members and she is so pumped
for baptism. She already goes to early morning seminary, young
women's, and church every week and says that being baptised will give
her "more focus" for her future. October 29th 👍🏼

Reasons why this week was hilarious:
1. I've been here six days and have already tripped 14 times
2. We had a lesson with a less active we found while knocking and we
ended up talking about the word of wisdom, law of chastity, and Jesus
Christ's brothers and sisters all in one lesson and I think me and
Sister Savelio said ten words total and all of this happened while she
was sitting in an anime onesie
3. This guy tried to sell me his front door when I complimented the
woodwork of it
4. This atheist wouldn't take my Book of Mormon so I did the puppy dog
eyes and he took a pamphlet and Mormon.org card as well and a promise
to read the first few pages
5. After the Sunday afternoon session of conference we went to
Billingham to have tea with all the missionaries and I got see Sister
Chiu and Sister Koepf again! And I got to see Sister Marston today :)

When reading the women's conference talks, I was thinking that the
messages each of the speakers shared reminded me of the stripling
warriors mothers. They talked a lot about having unshakeable faith and
a firm testimony of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to be converted
covenant keepers. And just like Helaman told about the stripling
warriors, "Now they never had fought, yet they did not fear death; and
they did think more upon the liberty of their fathers than they did
upon their lives; yea, they had been taught by their mothers, that if
they did not doubt, God would deliver them. And they rehearsed unto me
the words of their mothers, saying: We do not doubt our mothers knew
it." Just like their mothers, we gotta know it! We need to take time
and study and learn the teachings of this Gospel so we not only
influence our own righteous actions, but we can influence an entire
generation.

WAS CONFERENCE GOOD OR WHAT. I loved all the talks about member
missionary work. It wasn't just a wake up call to members but to
missionaries as well to get us pumped about member involvement.
Honestly if someone were to ask me what the hardest part of missionary
work is I would say member involvement. I can't tell you how many
appointments I've had to turn down because we couldn't get a member
out teaching with us or how stressful it is when you bring an
investigator to church and no one talks to them. So we're gonna set
some new goals to get members excited about missionary work but also
for ourselves to do better at gaining their trust and serving them to
strengthen member relationships. Woohoo! I wish I could adequately put
into words how incredible conference was and how spiritually uplifted
I felt afterwards. And the music! Ah, the Spirit was so strong. I wish
I could relive it again and again. 6 more months till next time!

I hit my 9 month mark this week and I feel like throwing up all the
time about it. They're not kidding when they say it's the downhill
slope because everything has just sped up so fast recently and it
needs to stop.

I love you and God loves you.
Peace.
Sister Pete

Flour War
Bishop Auckland town centre
Transferrrrrs

My last night with good ole Alnwick

No comments:

Post a Comment