Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Welcome to China 🎎

Hi people. Before I get into my first week back in the field and all that stuff I want to tell you about a really cool spiritual experience I had this week. 

So as you know, Sister Savelio went home last Monday. That was the hardest thing I have ever had to go through, back home and on the mission. I just felt sick all morning getting ready to go and when we got to the airport it was just too hard. I felt like I was saying goodbye to the best part of my mission. In the end, I couldn't even say anything when we hugged because I was just crying too much and cute Sister Savelio was only worried about if I was going to be okay. Saying I miss her is a HUGE understatement. I just can't even begin to describe it. After we dropped her off, I drove by myself (weird) to the Leeds chapel and sat with Sister Turvey for a good 20 minutes just crying and crying and both of us were just missing her so much. It was actually the day that the new missionaries came into the field and the first thing they saw was this sister missionary with puffy red eyes and probably couldn't look more sad so I hope that pumped them up to be here haha 😅

I then had the Leeds zone leaders drive me to the Sheffield zone leaders who then drove me to my new companion, Sister So from Hong Kong. Sister So is a legend in this mission, you can ask anyone if they know her and they'll say yes along with a "she's crazy". And she is, but she's also the sweetest person I've ever met. And I can't go five minutes without laughing because she's so funny and just so Chinese. So I'm now in the Sheffield 3 ward working with the Chinese YSA. I'm finally in the big city! And I absolutely love it. We have some great new recent converts and an investigator who is a 25 year old Ron Huby basically. He's been investigating for ages but just doesn't think it's "his time" yet to get baptised so we are working hard with him and hopefully can see some big changes. Working in a Chinese area is a little different because we mostly only stop Chinese people on the street and the lessons we teach them are a different as well because they don't even know who God is and have never heard of Jesus Christ. It's really great though because they are so open minded and humble and we've already scheduled two people this week. Overall, this has been a good change. I've always wanted to serve in a city area and live in a four-man flat so it's been really fun and a good distraction from all that's happened. 

I guess one thing that's hard about coming back to missionary work is that the last time I did all these things, it was in Bishop Auckland with Sister Savelio. But my first day here, I had such a cool experience in my personal study. I've been reading the Book of Mormon cover to cover and "coincidentally" I just happened to be in 2 Nephi chapter 4 and I was so overwhelmed by what I read and how specifically it applied to my life right now. It's been so hard not being able to be with Sister Savelio as she goes through this trial and it hasn't been easy saying goodbye to my best friend, but Heavenly Father knows me and knows what I needed to read that day. I'm going to pull an Elder Holland here and paraphrase what I got out of this chapter so forgive me for kind of changing doctrine but I couldn't imagine wording my feelings in a better way than as Nephi does in these verses:

"Nevertheless, I know in whom I have trusted. My God hath been my support; He hath led me through my pains and hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep. He hath filled me with His love, even unto the consuming of my flesh. Behold, He hath heard my cry by day, and He hath given me knowledge of peace by night. And by day have I waxed bold in mighty prayer before Him; yea, my voice have I sent up on high; and angels came down and gave comfort upon me. And upon the wings of His Spirit hath my body been carried away upon exceedingly high mountains. O then, the Lord hath visited me in so much mercy, why should my heart weep and my soul linger in the valley of sorrow? Rejoice, O my heart, and give place no more for the enemy of my soul. Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation. O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? May the gates of Hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever. Yea, I know that God will give liberally to him that asketh. Yea, my God will give me; therefore I will lift up my voice unto thee; yea, I will cry unto thee, my God, the rock of my righteousness. Behold, my voice shall forever ascend up unto thee, my rock and mine everlasting God. Amen."

This is my testimony for you today. I hope in your study of the Book of Mormon you can let the Spirit guide you on what to read or what God would like to tell you that day so you can receive answers to your prayers like I did and strengthen your testimony of the truthfulness of this Gospel. 

Apparently I can't write short emails anymore but if you made it to the end, thanks! I hope your week is a good one. MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM ENGLAND 🎄🇬🇧❤️
Love, 
Sister Peterson 
(Pae Ge mei)

My beautiful companion excited to write Christmas cards
Me and So Ge mei (Sister So) who is standing on a step, she's actually like 5 feet tall. 
Beautiful Sheffield
So Ge mei and Pan Ge mei who cook me lots of yummy Chinese food
The view from our flat 😍


No comments:

Post a Comment